First official draft of the season today, 5th pick in a 10 team random Yahoo league, H2H scoring, with categories of; R,H,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,AVG and for pitchers W,CG,SV,K,ERA,WHIP.
Edit Note: Made my first trade of the season. Got rid of Eric Gagne and packaged him with Torii Hunter for Alex Rios. I expect Hunter to decline a bit and Rios to break out more, so I like the deal. Also, with the free spot, I'm going to attempt to pick up Juan Pierre over the Waiver Wire, and if that doesn't work, then I pick up an extra available closer (Percival or one of the two Wilson's).
- C: Brian McCann - Round 9
- 1B: David Ortiz (is 1B eligible on Yahoo) - Round 2
- 2B: Aaron Hill - Round 18
- 3B: David Wright - Round 1
- SS: Orlando Cabrera - Round 14
- OF: Hunter Pence - Round 6
- OF: Chris Young - Round 8
- OF: Alex Rios - Trade
- U: Ryan Braun (3B) - Round 3
- BN: Yunel Escobar (2B/3B/SS) - Round 17
- BN: Geovany Soto (C) -Round 21
- SP: C.C. Sabathia - Round 4
- SP: Cole Hamels - Round 5
- RP: Joe Nathan - Round 7
- RP: Manny Corpas - Round 13
- P: Fausto Carmona - Round 10
- P: A.J. Burnett - Round 12
- P: Oliver Perez - Round 15
- BN: Brandon Lyon (RP) - Round 19
- BN: Dustin McGowan (SP) - Round 20
I took Braun third round because 1, he was available, and 2, because he'll be outfield eligible after the first few games of the season, so that allows me to potentially trade one of my other outfielders to upgrade at another position, possibly SS or elsewhere. For now, Orlando Cabrera will be my starting shortstop, but Yunel Escobar is a very good backup to have, and when the weakest position player is Orlando Cabrera, I think the team is pretty solid since he'll provide help in almost every stat category except HR. I also picked up Geovany Soto because he was available in the 21st round. I mean, I've seen him go as the 3rd catcher drafted, which is ridiculously early for him, but he's a highly touted prospect who could have a big payoff. And if he sucks, I just drop him and pick up a FA, or package him in a trade.
I have 3 closers because the P spots can be SP or RP, and on days when I have few starters going I can start 3 closers and rack up saves and Ks. The SP will get a lot of strikeouts, and the WHIP is solid except for Perez. Overall, I think this is a pretty scary team. Thoughts? Ideas? Any particular position or scoring stat you think I should look to upgrade in?